The Careers Department is located in M1 and the Careers staff are in the offices adjacent to M1, close to the Gernhoefer Administration Centre. All students are able to request one-to-one career counselling sessions which can be scheduled during the school day. Forms to request an interview are available outside the Careers Office in the green letterbox. Careers staff are available before and after school, at interval and at lunchtime to assist with inquiries. Parent/caregiver inquiries are also welcome. Appointments can be arranged so that parents/caregivers can attend with their daughter.
The WBHS and WGHS Combined Careers Expo is being held at the Westlake Boys High School Auditorium on Tuesday 25 June from 6-8pm. Come along to check out various career options.
University Open Days
|University Open Days 2019|
|UNIVERSITY of CANTERBURY||11-Jul||www.canterbury.ac.nz|
|MASSEY UNIVERSITY Manawatu Campus||7-Aug||www.massey.ac.nz|
|MASSEY UNIVERSITY Wellington Campus||23-Aug||www.massey.ac.nz|
|VICTORIA UNIVERSITY of WELLINGTON||23-Aug||www.victoria.ac.nz|
|MASSEY UNIVERSITY Auckland Campus||24-Aug||www.massey.ac.nz|
|UNIVERSITY of AUCKLAND||31-Aug||www.auckland.ac.nz|
|AUCKLAND UNIVERSITY of TECHNOLOGY (AUT)||31-Aug||www.aut.ac.nz|
- Explore options for future pathways
- Find and research resources so they can make informed decisions
- Form links with tertiary providers
- Consider alternative pathways
- Check entry requirements for courses
- Enquire about job opportunities
- Prepare a CV and cover letter
- Improve interview skills
- Select subjects for future study
- Apply for University Scholarships
- Apply for Halls of Residence
- Apply for overseas universities
- Year 13 Tertiary Evening (Term 1)
- Combined Westlake Careers Expo (Term 2 held at Westlake Boys High School)
- Lunchtime Speakers are invited throughout the year from a range of providers, work places and alumni
- University visits for enrolment assistance (Term 3)
- Tertiary Provider Open Days
- Tertiary Provider Experience Days
- KATTI for Maori students
- PILOT for Pasifika students
HOD Careers and Leadership Development
BA (The University of Auckland), Diploma Teaching (Auckland Teachers College). Graduate Certificate in Career Development (AUT)
Ph: 489 4169 Ext 277
Diploma in Career Guidance (NMIT)
Ph: 489 4169 Ext 208
BA (First Class Honours (Diplomacy and International Relations)), LLB, MA (Political Science)
Ph: 489 4169 Ext 205
Gateway is a government funded programme that provides broader educational opportunities and strengthens pathways for our senior students into further education and training or employment.
The programme aims to offer students between 5 to 20 days of work placement. The purpose is to provide actual workplace experience that will develop a clear understanding of the knowledge and skills required for future employment. While students complete a work placement, they have their learning assessed against unit standards on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF), which are integrated into their current programme of study. Gateway offers valuable learning opportunities and the chance to ‘test-drive’ a potential career/occupation.
Gateway work placements will usually take place in Terms 2 and 3 with a view to being completed by the end of Term 3.
Benefits to students
- Increased awareness and knowledge of a specific career pathway
- Learning industry based skills
- Improved communication skills through interaction with employers and employees
- Opportunity to network and gain contacts/mentors in their industry of interest
- The chance to work towards an industry qualification while still at school
To be considered for Gateway, students need to demonstrate excellent communication and time management skills. They need to be motivated, reliable and possess a great attitude. Students are carefully screened before being admitted onto the programme.
Our Gateway programme is always looking for new employers and companies who are interested in providing students with work placements. If you are able to support our students in this way, we would really appreciate hearing from you.
Contact Kiri Wilson-Cudby, Gateway Coordinator on 489 4169 Ext. 208 or email@example.com