Gateway is a government funded programme that provides broader educational opportunities and strengthens pathways for our senior students into further education and training or employment.
The programme aims to offer students between 5 to 20 days of work placement. The purpose is to provide actual workplace experience that will develop a clear understanding of the knowledge and skills required for future employment. While students complete a work placement, they have their learning assessed against unit standards on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF), which are integrated into their current programme of study. Gateway offers valuable learning opportunities and the chance to ‘test-drive’ a potential career/occupation.
Gateway work placements will usually take place in Terms 2 and 3 with a view to being completed by the end of Term 3.
Benefits to students
- Increased awareness and knowledge of a specific career pathway
- Learning industry based skills
- Improved communication skills through interaction with employers and employees
- Opportunity to network and gain contacts/mentors in their industry of interest
- The chance to work towards an industry qualification while still at school
- To be considered for Gateway, students need to demonstrate excellent communication and time management skills. They need to be motivated, reliable and possess a great attitude.
- Students are carefully screened before being admitted onto the programme.
Our Gateway programme is always looking for new employers and companies who are interested in providing students with work placements. If you are able to support our students in this way, we would really appreciate hearing from you.
Contact Kiri Wilson-Cudby, Gateway Coordinator on 489 4169 Ext. 208 or email@example.com